Monday, July 12, 2010

Journey to a PLN

PLN - Personal Learning Network. I have never been one that has enjoyed sitting in a mandatory faculty meeting listening to someone go on about whatever new educational acronym someone has thought up. Now I find myself jumping onto the newest bandwagon wholeheartedly.

At first look, one would think that I am taking on this venture merely because it pertains to technology, but I think there is a greater reason. In my position as my schools Technology Coordinator I have had the privilege to take part in an email discussion list amongst other Coordinators around the state. This list has been invaluable to me. So many times someone would post something they had tried only to have me excited to try it at my own school. I have had this thought for years that if other teachers could have the same type of lists to join, especially within their own disciplines, that they too could find something to get excited about and wish to share with their students. One thing that I have found through my own experience, I have always learned the most from teachers that were truly excited about what they were teaching. It's contagious.

So, now I have found that what I had wanted all along has been growing around me and I was completely oblivious to it. PLN's are exactly what I believe can help teachers get motivated, learn new things, make connections, and that will benefit the learning in their classrooms by tenfold.

If you are reading this without prior knowledge of PLN's, there are many great resources that I have found. One great resource is from Richard Byrne over at http://www.freetech4teachers.com. Follow this link to view one of his presentations on developing a PLN. http://www.freetech4teachers.com/p/develop-pln.html

No comments:

Post a Comment